A virtual book tour is a very cool idea. Instead of traveling from bookstore to bookstore in your area or across the country, you make things "virtual" by visiting different communities on different websites and doing live webinars.
Here are some of the forms a virtual book tour may take:
- Guest posting on people's blogs. These would be blogs that you have researched to have readerships that might be interested in your book.
- Doing interviews with bloggers and then the interview is posted on their blog.
- Doing a live webinar (as mentioned above). This is like doing a seminar on the web where people can see you and hear your voice.
- Doing a free online class, either over a conference call or via a webinar. The idea is that people will be drawn to the free class because of the value that you offer. That also sets you up perfectly to make sales for your product. (It's sort of like when Home Depot does those free classes for home improvement projects, and then you end up buying your supplies from their store!)
- Being interviewed on people's podcasts and videos.